Friday, February 25, 2011

Puma: Origins


Before diving into the earth-shattering substance of this blog, I thought it important to give readers a quick glimpse into the mysterious origins of the one and only “Puma”.  I’m glad to finally have this opportunity to clear things up, because most of the information out there is mere rumor and speculation.

First, there’s no truth to the myth that I was conceived when a lighting bolt struck a plummeting meteor.  It’s totally ludicrous to think a person could be created in this manner when everyone knows this is where baby rhinoceroses come from.

My ancestor, Pheidippides, pleases the crowd with some
naked calisthenics.  You can really see the family resemblance
in the glutes.
Second, it’s ridiculous to suggest that I’m the reincarnate form of Pheidippides, the Athenian herald who famously died after running from Marathon to Athens in order to deliver the message of Greek victory against the invading Persians.  This is a total exaggeration.  I’m merely a direct descendant of Pheidippides and have been graced with his extraordinary endurance capabilities. Luckily, the gene that caused him to die after what I would consider a leisurely stroll through the Mediterranean has been weeded out of the heredity pool at this point. 

Now, a brief recap of my early years:

While it’s never been officially confirmed, legend has it that I emerged from my mother’s womb donning a mustache that would have made Magnum P.I. crap his pants with jealously.  As an infant, my older brother shipped me to East Germany in a cargo crate the size of a microwave.  The Berlin Wall fell 3 hours after my arrival.  The rest of my adolescence was fairly unremarkable…if you consider traveling the world with a merry band of crime-solving raccoons unremarkable.  However, by the time I turned 18, I’d grown weary of this frantic lifestyle, and decided to shift my focus to more scholarly endeavors at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Since I “took my talents” to the world of long distance running, I’ve been kicking ass and taking names. (Yes, it’s a LeBron James reference. I know it’s old news, but I like to bring it up for one reason: His “Decision” makes me look like Sportsman of the Year, and I once locked a 76-year-old lady in a Porto potty just to get a better starting position in a road race. But I digress.)  Here are some of my more notable race results:


o   Los Angeles Marathon (2007): 4:29:44 – A pretty embarrassing showing on my part, but in my defense, I think somebody spiked my water with acid early in the race.  At the very least, this would explain why I refused to run another step until someone got me a glow stick at mile 13.
o   San Diego Marathon (2007): 3:26:13 – My current marathon PR. Only an hour and 22 minutes off the world record pace. Watch out Haile Gebrselaisse, because I’m coming for you.
o   Napa-to-Sonoma ½ Marathon (2007): 1:29:47 – My current ½ marathon PR. Finished 4th in my age group, just barely missing the podium.  I promptly slashed the tires of the three competitors that beat me, because cheaters should never prosper.
o   Plate-to-Plate 5k (2007): 18:32 – Finished 8th overall and won my age division. The medal was nice, but had a surprisingly low resale value at Vito’s Pawnshop.
o   Kaiser SF ½ Marathon (2010): 1:39:18 – First endurance race following a long hiatus. Reasons for my prolonged absence: (1) Attending law school figuratively broke my spirit and (2) playing basketball literally broke my ankle.
o   Emerald 12k Across the Bay: 53:59 – Won the Clydesdale Division (a.k.a. “Fatty Race”). Did I forget to mention that I’m 6’4’’, 215 lbs? Not exactly the prototypical endurance athlete’s body, so it’s nice when races accommodate people of my sexy stature.


These are the events and experiences that influenced the development of the “Puma”.  When I reflect on my journey to this point, it seems like I’ve always been destined to dominate the world of endurance running.  Well, destiny and the fact that the one time I tried boxing, I got thrown out of the gym for running around the ring yelling “not the face, not the face,” before finally collapsing into the fetal position, sobbing like a little girl.  Apparently those close-minded jerks didn’t quite grasp the complexity of my innovative new approach to the sport.

I'd advise you to use this weekend to start bracing yourself for the next glorious post, which will contain detailed instructions for starting your own training program.  It's coming at you Tuesday, March 1st.

2 comments:

  1. Peace with inches? Naked guy on front page? "not the face, not the face"? What's this blog REALLY about?

    Don't quit your day jo..... wait a minute...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, the primary focus of this blog is very clearly endurance training. Latent homoerotic humor is just an added bonus.

    Also, I find your comment somewhat hypocritical given the core motif of your fantasy football team.

    You've just been lawyered! That will be $300 dollars. Talk to my receptionist about billing methods.

    ReplyDelete